Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Life is like a round of Golf!

Did Y'all know that life is like a round of golf? I set out to play yesterday with my hubby and daughter, Annie B., who needed to practice for the school golf team. Hubby needed to practice for his business golf games and I just needed the exercise and family time! So we headed out to the golf course where we play, which is on the other side of town(actually in another smaller town) from where we live. . .25 minutes away. We dropped off the clubs and I suddenly realized, that I had forgotten my golf shoes! ;-( So I feelt like a fool, for messing up like that, but decided that it just an opportunity to walk to the course and get some exercise with the family. So, I put on my happy face and headed out!
Well, I failed to mention to you in the last paragraph that I had worn the cutest pair of copper leather flip-flop style sandles, with beads and gold coins that kind of jingled when I walked. By now, you are getting the picture, I am certain! Walking 9 holes in flip flops on HILLS? OH MY!
The round of golf went from bad to worse! My hubby played the WORST round of golf that I had EVER observed! I lost count of the number of balls that he lost, mostly in the water, but a few out of bounds in the heavy poison ivy. You can imagine his mood, after he swung repeatedly at the dimpled ball, trying to get it out of the trap(which I call the beach!) and missing the mark! NOT a pretty picture! Meanwhile, I pounded the cart paths, jingling all the way, in my supportless, non-walking shoes, feeling the beginning a blister against my right great toe.
At this point, I am certain that you are getting ready to click off of this blog, feeling that you do not want to ready another complaining word to ruin your day. BUT, there was a BRIGHT spot and that was ANNIE B. and her game! In spite of her embarrassing parents, Annie B. was our little shining star! She played very well. She did not keep score, out of kindness to her Daddy, so as not to humiliate him further, but we all knew that she emerged as the winner of the round!
So, life is like a round of GOLF! Some are days are good and some are not, but somewhere in between, there is a glimmer of something good that emerges! In our round, it was the realization that our 16 year old daughter has an athletic talent that is emerging. Whether it emerges to the point that she will garner a bit of the LPGA scolarship money for college, that we keep hearing goes unawarded each year, since so few young women play golf, remains to be seen. But, we all had an opportunity to spend some time together, laughing at oursleves, and enjoying the gorgeous day and lovely surroundings, supporting our daughter and her endeavors. The bottom line is, as they say, not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game. We played the game with love and humor, so that made it a WIN/WIN afterall! ;-) Y'all enjoy the week!

2 comments:

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

I know you're proud of her...for her golfing skill AND for her kindness and love for her daddy since he was having an off day.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! By the way, I LOVE MY T-SHIRT!!!