Sunday, August 31, 2008

Life on the Interstate

Yesterday, my younger daughter and I took a rather short road trip on a pair of Interstate Hiways, to a city about an hour away. We used to live in this city, and headed there to visit a dear friend, who is rocovering from a heart attack and stroke. Our friend was quite happy to see us, and after visiting with her for about an hour, we cruised through a local Wendy's to pick up a couple of iced teas(sweet, of course!) for the ride back up I-95 and I-40.
We were scooting along the road, at about 70mph, chatting and commenting on what was on the radio, when I noticed a car, barrelling up the left lane, just behind me. I am known for rolling along with traffic, and rarely stay behind a slow car in the right hand lane. Still, I try not to tempt fate or the State Troopers by going more than 7-10 mph above the speed limit. Safety, not to mention, saving fuel, are pretty important to me.
I exclaimed to Annie B. that I had to get past this car quickly, and get into the right lane, because there was a "maniac" behind me! I told her that I bet her the car would have NY license tags. Ann said that she doubted that, so we had a bet going! I was able to pull over into the right lane, and the red Escalade blew past us. Guess what the license tags said? YEP! NY! It was followed in close order by another red car, also with NY tags. They were obviously traveling together.
Now I know that I am new blogger, so I may not have many folks reading this. But, if there is someone out there that would care to comment on this, please do. Each time I head out on the Interstates, I am constantly passed by cars with NY plates that are absolutely flying! I mean, these cars are exceeding the speed limit by 20 mph and more! What is it that these cars almost ALWAYS are from NY? I do not drive in that part of the country much, so I am obviously unaware, if New Yorkers are encouraged to drive that fast in their home state, or just what! I really am not the kind of person that likes to generalize or type cast others. But my observation of the driving habits of NY residents, really seems to hold true! Has anyone else noticed this? If you are from NY, why do y'all drive so fast? Inquiring minds WANT to know! Y"all may just want to slow down a bit, and enjoy the scenery!

3 comments:

BroncoMom said...

Some New York/YANKEE drivers certainly have never had the pleasure to visit the south and then stay here on a regular basis. What is the rush? I say, if "they" are in such a hurry to get back north, then let them. Just make sure to stay out of their way and go BACK north of the Mason Dixon line where they belong. Crazy fools!

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

I-95 is particularly hairy and I, too, have noticed over the years that NY plates like to REALLY travel...some Florida plates also. We've just added I-40 to our travels as our son just moved to Chapel Hill to begin law school. It seems like a pretty busy highway also but NOT as bad as 95.

Beaufort Belle said...

First off, thanks for coming to my blog and leaving such a sweet comment. Now here I am at your lovely blog and enjoying the reading. Since you mention both I95 and I40, I am guessing you are in NC as well and somewhere in the triangle area. Don't know if you are new to the area, but I95 is known for drug trafficking from Miami to NY. Speaking of the type of cars, that wouldn't surprise me, especially if there were 2 cars. Many times one car is the drug car and the other car is a "decoy" car since 95 is polluted with state troopers. Not trying to stereotype but offering my opinion. I'm just glad that you and your DD2 made it safely home.