Wednesday, September 17, 2008

"That's what it's all about!"

Ok, Y'all! Here is the burning question of the day. Is the HOKEY POKEY really what it is all about? Today, at the elementary school, I was trying to get the whole concept of RHYTHM across to a group of 2nd graders. There were some REAL LIVE WIRES within the group of 21 children, seated in a circle in the classroom.
I told them that they all had rhythm inside of them. One boy vowed and declared that "I h'aint got no rhythm in ME!" I assured him that we ALL had hearts in our bodies, and our hearts beat to our very own rhythm inside of us. Just like the rhythm of a clock ticking, or of the raindrops falling on the sidewalk outside, our heart beats with a rhythm. I had the children try to find their pulse, so that they could FEEL the rhythm of their heart. Of course, Keyvon, the child with NO rhythm, could not find his pulse!
We clapped, slapped, stomped and snapped variuous rhythms. I pointed out rhythms that we can see in repeated designs of fabrics in our clothing. We then stood in a circle to attempt a simple pattern of steps and claps. If I wanted the group to go right, there were a few that turned left. . . every time! IF I encouraged the group to clap once, certain members clapped repeatedly. After MANY tries, and no real success, I bagged the rest of the rhythm lesson, and sunk to the lowest level of teaching. . . the HOKEY POKEY! EVERYONE, even KEYVON, managed to do the activity perfectly and with total enthusiasm! Some days, (and THIS was ONE of them!) I suppose that the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it is all about!

2 comments:

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

Would you believe I used to be a music teacher?

Mary Beth said...

"I ain't got no rhythm in me" made me laugh out loud!

Somedays, the Hokey Pokey is indeed what it's all about : )