Saturday, September 6, 2008

Farewell Hanna!

I am happy to report that Tropical Storm Hanna seems to be on her way! I was in Wrightsville Beach earlier this week(which I why there have not been regular posts!), and the beach was GORGEOUS! The water was a tropical turquoise and about 82 degrees! The sky was a true Carolina Blue, with some little puffy white clouds. The sand was PERFECT for walking. The sand just gives the BEST natural pedicure ever. No more rough spots on the feet, after a sand and sea walk!
As I drove back west on Thursday, I was joined by many boat owners, pulling their ivestments westward, out of harm's way. Traveling in an eastward direction, were many young men, hauling their surfboards toward the heavy surf and the waves that they hoped to ride. It seemed to be a bit of a do-si-do dance on the Interstate! Nothing like the evacuation of Hurricane Hugo that we were a part of from Charleston some years ago!
Inland, our rains started mid afternoon on Friday. In the triangle area, we have gotten nearly 5 inches. The major creek in our area is still rising, flooding the lower level parking deck of one of our bigger shopping centers. This is expected whenever there are steady rains for hours on end! That shopping center's location continues to be a "what WERE they thinking?" kind of a place. Built in mid 1970's it is still a great shopping spot, when the creek manages to behave.
Our house sits under the shade of three HUGE oak trees, which I adore! That is what attracted me to the house 9 years ago when our family relocated to "The City of Oaks" due to a corporate merger. That same attraction is a constant worry during storms, both summer and winter. This morning, just when I thought that we had completely dodged yet another bullet, I heard a loud THUD! It was either Annie B, taking a tumble upstairs or a limb on the roof. It was the latter, but fortunately, the only damage was a dent in the gutter over the front porch! A 15 foot dead limb was swaying in the wind gusts, just in front of our front entrance! The Hubby donned his work gloves and, once again, saved the day! Gotta love a guy with work gloves! Farewell Hanna!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say I love your blog - stumbled across it and now I'm hooked! I like to share preppy southern finds with my favorite preppy bloggers sometimes so here's a cute one...
www.lowkeyconsortium.etsy.com

Keep Blogging!

High on Hairspray said...

You're off to a good start. I am a new blogger and came across you blog . I will definately add you to my blog list.

just ask beth said...

thanks for the feedback! I think you are off to a good start. I love anything Southern