Wednesday, September 10, 2008

United we stand. . . and EXERCISE!

Good Morning Y'all! I have been up now for more than 3 hours. I have exercised, eaten breakfast, walked the dog, thrown in some laundry and answered emails! All of this energy is thanks to my mornings at the gym!
Now, if you saw me, you would KNOW that I am NOT a typical "gym rat!"One day, when I am brave, I will post a snapshot! This particular gym is NOT the "meat market" variety that we tend to see on tv. Nobody is "picking up" anybody at 6am! In fact, most folks just greet one another with a simple "hey" or "good morning" since we are all there for the same reason. . . TRYING to get more fit!
I am picked up by two women, slightly younger than I am, at 5:50 AM! That means, that I am up, teeth brushed and face washed. . . .dressed with a few sips of coffee and a banana eaten ahead of time. There is a little quiet conversation on the ride there, through the darkened neighborhood, to the Lifestyle Family Fitness Center. We are greeted by a smiling woman with a good sense of humor. Gotta have humor at that hour! "Here they come!" Yay, They made it again!" "Good job, girlfirends!"
At that point, we all go and "warm up" on the treadmill, eliptical or the bikes for about 1/2 mile. Then we are on to our individual routines. They do freeweights. I do machines, alternating upper body and lower body workouts. I do between 10 and 30 reps on each center, depending on what I am working on. My weight limit, at this time ia just 10 pounds for overhead lifts(I am weak in that area) and more than 50 pounds for my lower body. The trainer says that most women are weak in their upper body.
The GOOD news is that I am becoming less jiggley!;-) I am losing inches and a few pounds. . .GRADUALLY! I added this weight,a couple of poinds a year, over more than 20 years, so I am actually taking it off faster than I put it on! I am NOT intimidated by the buff, musclebound folks that are there. Most of the folks that are there are just trying to improve their health and fitness, just like me! The very best thing is that I have far more energy than I used to have, and get lots more accomplished in a day! Always a bonus! I am home by 7 am, to make certain that Annie B. is up and ready to head off to school! Some times, I actually give her a wake up call, via the cell phine, from the gym, when the Hubby is out of town!
I would not be nearly as dilligent at this, if it were not for my gym buddies, Suzanne and Celeste! Thank you to them for their encouragement and support. United we stand, and EXERCISE! Now, get moving, Y'all!

No comments: