Wednesday, September 24, 2008

World View @ 5 am

Good Morning, Y'all! Just thought that I would report on the state of the world before even the birds are up. Why, you might ask, would anyone CHOOSE to rise and attempt to shine at such an hour? Well, the Hubby had to catch the early bird flight to DC today, so he was stirring around 4am, to get to the airport by 5 for the 5:55 flight to our nation's capitol. With the lights on, I figured that I might as well rise and head to my early morning destination, as well. Both Annie B and Big Poodle continued to snooze on, ispite of our stirrings.
With a banana and a cup of coffee for fuel, and a water bottle in hand, a sweatsuit clad moi, headed to the car to make the short drive to the fitness center. All was quiet and still in the neighorhood. Not a creature appeared to be stirring. Even the usual black cat was absent on the street. After leaving the neighborhood, for a busier artery in town, traffic was picking up. I cannot say that the folks in the cars that passed me seemed to be very bright-eyed or bushy-tailed, though. All seemed to be pretty subdued, heading to their respective destinations.
Arriving at the gym, life was a different matter. The woman at the desk is ALWAYS smiling and friendly, and the 6 am aerobics class was about to crank up. The music videos were thumping their beat loudly, with their artists moving to the music on the video screens. The other gym participants are all moving and focused on their tv screens or tuned into their ipods, not noticing the other exercising folks present.Let's face it, none of us looked particularly great at that hour! Everyone moved quickly into their own athletic groove, ignoring, or seeming to ignore, what was going on around them. I joined in, on the treadmill and then with the weights, in pursuit of better fitness and a smaller pant size!
The real world was still there, and I made a wake-up call to Annie B, promising to be back home within 30 more minutes, to usher her out the door for school.
By this time, the pitch blackness of the night was gone and it was officially "the morning rush" on the roads, all shared with busses and trucks. The neighnorhood was out and about, with dogs and newpapers being gathering inside. A new day had dawned and I was there to catch it all. Have a great one, Y'all! Maybe I can fit a siesta in around mid-afternoon. I'll let you know if early birds really do, catch the worms!

1 comment:

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

I am IMPRESSED! It's 4:30 in the afternoon gymtime for me. I am an awful person to be around in the morning with a cup of coffee and the Today Show...nobody at the gym would be able to stand me!