Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Name Game

Hi Y'all! I am back to teaching at the neighborhood elementary school this week. I really find it energizing to be around the children. Most of them are just wonderful, with such enthusiasm for learning and great promise of a great future ahead of them. Every once in a while, I call the roll, and wonder, "Just what WAS their mother thinking when she hung that name on this child?"
After many years in and out of classrooms, I thought that I had heard or seen it all. There was the child that was named after the TV show years back, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." That child was named Illya Kuriakin Haigler, after the main character of the series! Amazing, isn't it?
Then there was the little girl, who told me that her name was MONET. I told her that her name was the same as my favorite artist, Claude Monet. When the child finally printed her nane on her paper, it was spelled MONEY and pronounced MO-NAY! Honestly, that is the truth!
Today, I ran across a new one that I had NEVER seen! A cute little girl, whose parent had named her AMBERLISHIOUS! I believe that it should have been spelled like delicious, except someone was not able to spell it correctly. When names are invented like that, who KNOWS what a correct spelling REALLY is! Anything goes!
It used to be said, that a strange name would "limit" a child's options during their life. Obviously, that is no longer true! We have a celebrity named Moon Unit. We have a presidential candidate named Barack Obama. Whatever happened to all of the boys named Bobby and the girls named Sally? I wonder just what the future holds for Amberlishious? We'll just have to keep playing "The Name Game" to find out!

3 comments:

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

You are so right...I had to have a little word of prayer a week or so ago with a new student who took an attitude with a teacher for mispronouncing her seemingly unpronouncable name.

Mary Beth said...

I've run across some interesting names in my 15 years in education, but I think that Amberlishious tops them all. I wonder if her dad is that Blayne guy on Project Runway...

Money made me laugh out loud!

The most unique name I've come across had to be Sputnik Neon.

Anonymous said...

Yes Moon Unit was the daughter of Frank Zappa a great musician. Dweezil Zappa who follows in his fathers footsteps recently played his show at the Lincoln Theater playing his deceased dads music. Yes as a teacher we wonder what the hell these parents were thinking and then if you mispronounce it you are corrected. I've heard worse.