Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Trip to the neighborhood bookstore

Hi Y"all! I am just back from the neighborhood bookstore. I really like to support the independent bookseller in town, but, it is a bit of a drive, and with the gas prices on the high side, I chose to shop this evening at the nearest store. That would be Borders, just a few minutes and a couple of right turns in the VW away. Plus, I had downloaded a 25% off coupon.That is ALWAYS an incentive to shop!
My goal this evening was to purchase the book for my college alum book club, that meets in a couple of weeks. Our fam is headed for the coast this weekend, and rain is predicted. Reading may be a chosen activity, depending on the severity of the weather. "The Bible Salesman" by Clyde Edgerton is the current selection. I went right to the book, that is only available in hardback, at this time, picking it up and heading toward the check out counter.
I have to mention that it is extremely difficult for me to pass by the bargain bins without taking a look. The titles of books ALWAYS draw me in. I am in constant amazement just HOW certain books could ever be published in the first place! I wonder just who would this book appeal to, and what would make someone buy it? Some times I can figure it out and other times, I just have to shake my head in disbelief!
For example, there is a new book out. . .a memoir of a woman who was a child star on the Brady Bunch years ago. I will have to admit that I did watch that in my childhood. At this time in my life, I really have no interest who this woman dated and what she did while on that show! It was no surprise that, even as a new release, her memoir was 40% off!
The most unusual book was one titled "BANANAS: the Story of the Most Perfect Fruit." Now this attention grabber was in the 5.99 bin. I had to wonder, just what would have led someone to WRITE a book about their favorite fruit. What publishing house would have agreed to publish this volume? And the most burning question of all would be, WHY BANANAS? Inquiring minds want to know! Now be honest, don't YOU want to know?

No comments: